Monday, January 19, 2009

DIY time!

Something which I had not done for very long. The last time that I can remember was probably JC when I made pouches (hand-sewn mind you..not machine) for presents, and of course the small doll shelf which I made from a discarded metal shelving and yarns.


It started with the car, which I had driven to the car care center for the sealant coat. And being a Sunday, I had to wait for 4 hours before it can be collected. So after whatever is necessary to be done there, there was still a lot of time left..so there wasn't anything else to do in a mall, other than window shopping of course (this being the season of spring cleaning, I had to restrain myself from bringing more stuff to my room when I should be clearing it)

And then I saw the pair of earrings. Going for only $6.

At the back of my mind, I remember the look of my earring case. It was stuff to the max in all its cubi holes with all my earrings. I became lazy to keep my earrings after wearing them, simply cos I would have headache trying to rearrange for space to keep them properly. I have a headache just thinking of where to keep this new pair of earrings.

On the other hand, my gatherer-instincts were telling me that I will definitely kick myself if I dont grab it.

So I did :p

Anyway, so I had better think of some way to start organising them properly, and I remember seeing someone's amazing collection of earrings on a rotating stand beside her bed (yes, it's you..you know yourself :p)

So I went to google/ebay, but I cant find one that I really like. But one of the googled page caught my attention. DIY earring stand she made from a grease splatter (it looked like a soup ladel with metal netting as the base). And that gave me an idea.

So today I went to look for the Ikea frames from eons ago that I stashed somewhere, followed by Spotlight for some tulle (the type they use to make ballet tutu and can-can dresses). Spotlight is such a lovely place, I can spend hours there..I dont know why but I just love looking at and touching the cloths, beads, ribbons. Went home, dug out all my ribbons, cardboards (I still have craft stuff even though I had not done anything for so long.I feel like a garung guni man sometimes) and started my mini project while watching Kill Bill 2.




And the final product..Tada!





My verdict?



  • I should have gotten white tulle instead of black, think it will look nicer against the frame

  • ok, the pink ribbon is UUGGGLLLLYYYY..that was a bad decision. The ribbon was some left over stuff and was the only one with the right width to glue along the frame. But then come to think of it, if I had used white tulle instead of black, it may just turn out well..since I cant change the tulle (I still got enough to make like 6-7 more!) I will probably cut away the ribbons and replace with another one.

  • I need a bigger frame - those above are only about 1/3 of my earrings. Haha~


Next step - one big frame and putting up the framed earrings onto the wall.


And this is how the frames look like on my wall now.



The ribbons are changed, and all my previous loots are hanging nicely. I realise that it has saved me a lot of hassle too..when thinking of what to match with, and also real easy to just put them back.

Maybe it's ok now to buy more earrings :p heh~

3 comments:

Sunshine23 said...

wah.. you are so crever!! Excellent Idea.. I was having headache with my earings so I SOLD them at the flea market.. lol

Becky said...

Make one for me!

MojitoMint said...

sunshine - gosh..how can you sell away the earrings? they will be feeling upset :p

bunny - u want? i got enough to make like 8 more..but thinking of getting the bigger a4 size frames if i can find them at ikea. let me know..me got plenty of time on my hands... hahaha~

Sunshine - u want also? i can make..then the tulle wont be sitting in my drawer until god knows when..if can i want to finish them..